1. Winchester Model 70: The rifleman's rifle is back better than ever, and the Featherweight version is both easy to carry and deadly at long ranges. Jack would approve.
2. Savage 11/111: One of several modern variations of the venerable Model 110, this one features Savage's proven AccuTrigger and new AccuStock.
3. Weatherby Vanguard: Weatherby changed the face of American firearms more than 50 years ago. Its latest rifle features guaranteed sub-MOA accuracy, standard calibers, and an eye-catching price (MSRP: $599).
4. Browning X-Bolt: Sleek, fast, and loaded with innovative features, it's arguably the best bolt-action rifle Browning has ever built. It's an A-Bolt, only better.
5. Ruger Model 77: Like all things Ruger, it's rugged, reliable, and a proven performer. The LC6 trigger on the new Hawkeye models make it more accurate than ever.
6. Thompson/Center Encore: The one-shot gun for all seasons. Interchangeable barrels let you switch between muzzleloader, slug gun, and more than a dozen centerfire cartridges.
7. Marlin 308MX: It's basically the 336--a classic brush gun--but in a caliber that offers legitimate long-range performance. That said, the trigger can't compare to the best bolts.
8. Remington 7600: No gun provides quicker, more reliable follow-up shots in thick cover than this proven pump, yet with a 22-inch barrel, it can still reach out and touch 'em. Again, too bad it doesn't have a better trigger.