Recipe: Levi Banks’ Venison Popover
Last Friday’s Food Fight featured a great looking popover-style pastry from Wild Chef reader Levi Banks. Levi always cooks up...
Last Friday’s Food Fight featured a great looking popover-style pastry from Wild Chef reader Levi Banks. Levi always cooks up some amazing, original dishes (of which you’ll see more in upcoming Food Fights) and, most importantly, is willing to share his recipes with the rest of us.
– ¼ cup butter
– ¾ cup milk
– 2 eggs
– ⅔ cup flour flour
– ½ tsp. salt
– 1 lb. breakfast-style venison sausage
– 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
– 1 small onion, chopped
– 1 yellow pepper, sliced
– 1 cup shredded cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Melt ¼ cup of butter in a 9-inch glass pie pan in the oven.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk milk, eggs, flour and salt until it comes together in a smooth batter.
4. Remove pie pan from oven and pour in batter. Return to oven. Bake for 25 minutes until the popover gets puffy and golden brown.
5. While the pastry is baking, add the venison sausage, onion and pepper to a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Stir frequently until the sausage is broken up and nearly cooked through.
6. Add the broccoli and let cook for a few minutes. Stir in cheese until melted.
7. When the pastry is done, remove it from the oven, scoop the goods on top and serve.