New Long-Range Rifle: Montana Rifles Company MMR

The Gun Nuts

January 24, 2014

New Long-Range Rifle: Montana Rifles Company MMR

By David E. Petzal

What with long range being all the rage, there is no shortage of tactical rifles, but this is one of the less weird, more versatile ones. The MMR can serve as a beanfield gun, terminate the careers of coyotes, compete in F-Class matches … or even shoot tactically.

The MMR is based on Montana’s greasy-slick, unstoppable rotary-extractor action and is equipped with a 24-inch, fluted, Montana #6 contour barrel with a removable muzzle brake. The stock is target-style and can be adjusted for comb height and length of pull. Instead of the classic Model 70 trigger, which is standard for Montana, they use a Timney which can be set at 2 ½ pounds. Calibers include .308, .260 Remington, 6.5/284, .300 Win Mag (if is isn’t in the lineup, whine at them and they’ll build one) and a special version in .338 Lapua. All the metal is Cerakoted in case you want to shoot in the rain, sleet, and snow. You’re welcome. Weight is 12 pounds, and mine, which has a big Nightforce scope on it, weighs 15. It’s worth noting that because of its weight and excellent ergonomics, the MMR is one of two rifles I own that I can hold absolutely dead steady.

The price is $2,295. My MMR, a 6.5/284, will put five rounds in 3 inches at 600 yards. I think that’s worth just under three grand.

from hermit crab wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

What exactly does shooting "tactically" mean?

from 5280Shooter wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

Dave: can you please elaborate on your intended use of your MMR 6.5/284 and which Nightforce scope you selected? Also, given the mid and higher magnification NF NXS scopes come in at about 31-32 ounces can we assume you will not be carrying that rig up the mountain for a sheep or goat hunt? Or, maybe I am underestimating your climbing prowess?

from davidpetzal wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

To Hermit Crab: Law enforcement.

To 5280 Shooter: I plan to use it this coming summer for F-Class competition alongside all the other geezers who can no longer shoot with a sling or see iron sights. Three 20-round strings at 600 yards, and may the best shot win.

Also, if I get the chance, I'd like to shoot piggies at long range. Pounding that pork is a fine way to spend one's time.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

I'll take one in .260 Remington! Thank you

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

I actually have one in .260 due to arrive shortly.

from 1uglymutha wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

"Pounding that pork?" Now we know what you do with your free time.

from chuckles wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

I believe it has been the rumored to cause loss of visual acuity as well.

from DakotaMan wrote 12 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks for the update DEP. That is a mighty fine looking rifle. I wouldn't be surprised that if you tune up a load for it, the 600 yard groups will get even tighter than that. I also would be interested in hearing what NightForce you use on it and how that might compare to the pretty Leupold in the video. Have you tried the Leupold or is that just a floor demo? I've been using a Leupold 6.5-20x40 and have been very happy with that.

from 1uglymutha wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

"Pounding that pork?" Now we know what you do with your free time.

from hermit crab wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

What exactly does shooting "tactically" mean?

from 5280Shooter wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

from davidpetzal wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

To Hermit Crab: Law enforcement.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

I'll take one in .260 Remington! Thank you

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

I actually have one in .260 due to arrive shortly.

from chuckles wrote 12 weeks 5 days ago

I believe it has been the rumored to cause loss of visual acuity as well.

from DakotaMan wrote 12 weeks 4 days ago