Winter Survival Quiz
Think you know how to survive a cold night in the wilderness? Take this quiz and find out.
1. If you are forced to spend the night outside, the first thing you should do is:
A. Start a fire
B. Build a shelter
C. Climb a tree
2. Why is a wristwatch an important piece of cold-weather gear?
A. It can help you start a fire by focusing sunlight with the crystal
B. It can help you calculate the remaining hours of daylight
C. It can serve as a makeshift compass should your magnetic compass freeze up
3. If you must spend the night in the mountains, where should you seek shelter?
A. On top of a mountain
B. In a valley
C.Somewhere in between
4. If you feel cold, should you refrain from drinking cold water?
C. It depends
5. In cold weather, how often should you stop to assess whether you need to put on more clothing?
A. Once an hour
B. Twice a day
6. What’s the best food to eat to keep warm?
A. Red meat
7. If you detect the telltale white spots of frostbite on your buddy’s cheeks, you should:
A. Rub them with snow
B. Ignore them until they become painful
C. Stop and build a fire
8. Prepare your clothes for winter wear by:
A. Cleaning them
B. Sewing in liners
C. Wearing them to work to break them in
9. If you break through the ice of a stream and get wet up to your hips, you should:
A. Suck up and keep walking; you’ll be uncomfortable but fine
B. Dry out your socks and pants
C. Do jumping jacks
10. If you’re spending the night in the winter woods and find yourself nodding off, you should:
A. Go ahead and fall asleep
B. Stay awake-if you fall asleep, you may freeze to death
C. Close your eyes for 30-second intervals