1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Add canola oil to a Dutch oven set over medium-high heat.
2. Coat the elk shank with Chinese five-spice seasoning. When the oil is hot, brown the elk shank on all sides.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining ingredients except the game stock together in a small bowl.
4. Once the shank is browned, pour the orange-soy mixture over the meat. Add enough stock to come about halfway up the side of the shank. Place the lid on the Dutch oven and transfer to the oven.
5. Braise for 2 to 3 hours, turning the shank often. Once the meat pulls easily away from the bone, remove the shank Dutch oven and let the meat rest until it is cool enough to handle. Shred the meat with two forks or your fingers, incorporating the sauce into the meat.