Shastay was right, of course: the fisherman wasn’t stuck. He hauled a kicking 20-inch striped bass to the surface. It was trim, muscular, and clean, shining even under the cloudy sky. Fish that size, Shastay explained, are the norm in midsummer, while in the spring and fall, stripers not only are more abundant, but they also run 30, 35, and even 40 inches long. Stripers make up 80 percent of his catch, with the other 20 percent divided among bluefish, tautog, summer flounder, and occasional curiosities, like an Atlantic sturgeon, or the 43-inch dogfish shark he’d boated the week prior.