Hurteau: Whitetail Headlines

Whitetail 365

February 25, 2010

Hurteau: Whitetail Headlines

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

Wisconsin with it's long standing traditional deer hunting season, is proposing a Win-Win situation for both the farmers and the real American heroes ... our soldiers! S-AL-U-T-E!

As for the Oklahoma poacher ...his lust got in the way of a sound mind. He got what he deserved.

As for the owner of "Pretty Boy" ... I'm in the wrong business if he "lost" that much money!

from Jacob A. Craig wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

That kid is a total idiot for shooting a deer down like that and deserved to bu punished but 33k thats a little rediculous like that guy didnt have 50 other bucks that were like that on his "deer farm." I dont like the idea of farming deer that defeats the whole purpose of hunting but you get guys that will pay big money to act like their some great hunter for going to a farm and killing a fenced in animal. Whats the skill in that you go to a farm pick out the buck you want to kill from the 100 trail cam photos that farm has of the deer and they set you in a stand where they see the deer everyday and you kill it. Thats not hunting id love to see those guys go hunt outside a farm, they would walk in circles not knowing where to put a stand in a real woods with free range deer that would be laughing at the guy trying to hunt.

from RichardF wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

Im not sure if Whitetail should be considered exotic livestock. I guess if you can make a million from deer sperm they can call it whatever they want. Time for a job change...

from WhitetailHunter706 wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

i dont know about Main but here in indiana in the last 5 years we have had 3 record harvests in 2005 indiana hunters killed 125,526 overcoming the previous state record of 124,000 in 1994. In 2008 we killed 129,749 shattering the 2005 record and up 4% from 2007. and this season 2009 we also easily surpassed the 2008 record by killing 132,752 just over a 2% increase over the previous year. many speculate that the reason for the higher numbers in 2008 and 2009 was the 10% rate of unemployment. they claim that it gave more people time to hunt. In shotgun season first day totals were around 18,000 up 6% from 2008 and shotgun totals were up 5% total. Bow also saw a increase of about 1.5% and muzzleloader was steady at a narrow .2% increase. After that they say the deer population was up 9.5% over 2008. so you folks in maine are mighty welcome to fill your tags here in the great hoosier state plus we added many records to the b&c list and another in the p&y records the first pope and young to come out of Perry county in southwestern indiana. this buck totaled 174 5/8 on 11 points. Indiana has some great hunting and plenty of deer

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

The guy killing the huge tame buck is prime exzample of the peer pressure a lot of hunters have put on other hunters. Bucks with huge racks have been made some mythical animal which makes a hunter macho if he kills one. I'm not jeaulous because I have killed large bucks but in the wild and not in a fence. I had a kid in one of my Hunter Education classes that his father had money and had taken him to a deer farm and let him kill a huge buck when he was 12 years old. He was bragging to the other boys about killing the deer. It was all I could do to keep muy mouth shut. Maybe one of these days ( I doubt it )maybe we will concentrate on the important thing "the hunt" and quit grading hunters on the size of the bucks they kill.

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

Wisconsin you are Number 1 in my book. When I was in Vietnam in 1969 deer season was a sad time. I wish all states would follow Winconsin's lead and do this for our servicemen and women. I am going to start working here in WV to see if that is possible here. When a serviceman or women is willing to give up their life for the rest of us, the least we could do is let them deer hunt some.

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

I will be surprised if Minn stops the feeding of deer. The Farm Co-Ops here in WV are for the feeding of deer. Over 85% of all corn sold at the Co-Ops is feed to wildlife mainly deer. This year corn sold for $10.50 for 100 pounds. With thousands and thousands of pounds of corn sold to feed wildlife it would be a great loss of revenue to the Co-Ops if feeding wildlife was banned.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago