Cermele: A Skinny Little Creature, Part 1

The Lateral Line

September 24, 2010

Cermele: A Skinny Little Creature, Part 1

By Joe Cermele

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. – Comedian Steven Wright

Pictured below is the F2 Shakalicious Worm, the latest creation from YUM. These baits fall into the popular mass of plastics designed for the Shaky Head presentation. I'm going to go ahead and rope the Shakalicious into the "creature" category, too. But the difference between this and other creatures is that it's a skinny little thing. This poses a question of durability.

The reason I've labeled this post "Part 1" is that I'll be smallmouth fishing the next 3 days and am eager to give these worms a try. I'm intrigued by the design, though I worry that the thin diameter at the joint of the ribbed and smooth body sections is going to break in short order. YUM makes a pretty tough bait, but we'll see how she flies. The skirted end is the head, though they tell you to try rigging it from either side.

All in all, I have mixed reviews about creature baits. I understand the appeal to both anglers and fish, though I have not noticed my personal catches soaring with these patterns that look like a crawfish mated with a scorpion that mated with a dragonfly wearing a grass skirt. I'll let you know how the Shakalicious stands up, but in the meantime, tell me what you think. Good design? Skeptical? Where do you stand on "creatures?" - JC

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

The new F2 Mighty Bug will be in my box.....that shakey head worm wouldn't have a chance with me unless I saw it in action on someone else's rod first.

from shane wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I bet it'll work. Durability might be a problem but fish will hit it. That's my vote.

from Panfry101 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

You could fish it like a finness worm and swim it, or you could shakey head it, or you could vertical jig it. It looks to be a versitle bait, but I won't buy it if it isn't durable.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

if it only catches one fish before you have to replace it, i don't want it. i will be waiting for reports on this one.

from rjw wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

YUM makes a quality product and I do not see durability being an issue. Will definitely try these Texas rigged as well as shaky head.
What I see as an issue is these bogus posts on these blogs that have absolutely nothing to do with the blog itself other than self promotion of products that I do not come here for.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

JC ~ No thanks.

from Badgerfan16 wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

The new yum f2 works really good but, i wish they would make the dingers in the old colors

from Bass2Buck wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

Might just be too skinny but looks like it would have good action.

from mexhunter wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

If i buy this, I would cut it in half then use the one with the tail and save the other half for hookin it the wacky way

from Panfry101 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from Badgerfan16 wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from Bass2Buck wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

Might just be too skinny but looks like it would have good action.

from mexhunter wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago