Lousiana Wildlife Officer Killed While Investigating Illegal Hunting Complaints

Field Notes

October 04, 2011

Lousiana Wildlife Officer Killed While Investigating Illegal Hunting Complaints

By Chad Love

This is a grim reminder of the dangers our wildlife officers face every day.

From this story in the Houston Chronicle
A veteran agent with the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries was shot in the chest with a shotgun and killed in the early morning hours on Friday while he apparently was tracking down a complaint about illegal hunting in woods near the Mississippi River, according to investigators.

The body of Sgt. Paul Stuckey, 47, was found at about 7 a.m. next to his patrol truck on a gravel river road by fishermen just outside St. Francisville in West Feliciana Parish. At 2:15 a.m., he reported to his supervisor that he was heading out to investigate a tip about illegal nighttime hunting, according to wildlife officials.
State police investigators, the lead detectives, said they had no suspects as of Friday. Lt. Doug Cain, a state police spokesman, said there were signs that Stuckey was in the midst of surveillance when he was killed. Cain said Stuckey had binoculars on his truck's dashboard, had made it so the lights inside his truck could not be seen and had filled out his patrol log. "There are definite indications that he was on an investigation," Cain said. But he said investigators had a lot more work to do such as ballistics tests and DNA analysis. He said there were no obvious clues gathered from the scene. "There are certainly a lot of unanswered questions," he said.

from rootju wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Very unfortunate... Prayer to his family from MI... Hope they catch whoever was responsible...

from Steward wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

My condolences to the family.

As for the perpetrator, if this is what it looks like?

Hang 'im high!

from AJN wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Amen to that

from WesMcCormick wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

That's a shame that an outlaw is willing to kill a man over what? a deer? a couple hundred dollar fine? Its just a shame stuff like this happens!

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

R.I.P Sgt. Stuckey. Here's hoping the perpetrators of this act are brought to justice. I just don't understand how some people are so thoughtless and cowardly.

from Hurckles wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

unreal. what do you say to that? guy is out there protecting what we love and someone does this? my heart goes out to his loved ones...again, unreal. Too many officers of the law, in all departments are being killed, this is the society we live in i guess. hopefully it won't take long for humanity to just wipe itself out completely and rid the world of its stupidity. i'd like to say i have faith in the world but look what we do to people who try to protect our virtues...

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Hurckles wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

....and hanging him high isn't enough for me...maybe we need to make better examples of a murderer. oh you killed someone? here you go, free room and board and 3 square meals a day for the rest of our life, courtesy of john Q taxpayer...or a nice quiet death by lethal injection? somehow i don't think those penalties are getting the message across. yeah...i'm pissed.

from vasportsman wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

My condolances to the family, hope they catch the stupid sack of trash that did it

from rock rat wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Terrible.

from lostcajun61 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

As a Louisiana native, I'm personally hurt by this senseless act. My thoughts and condolences to the family and LDWF as well. I only hope that people understand that this was not the act of a sportsman, but rather a cold hearted murderer. Conservation officers often work alone and at odd hours in potentially dangerous situations. They should be respected, if not revered for the work they do protecting what we love and sometimes take for granted. R.I.P Sgt. Stuckey.

from wp wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

My condolences to the family of Sgt. Stuckey and his fellow Conservation Officers. This sort of cowardly, senseless act sickens me. Hopefully the individual or individuals responsible will be brought to justice quickly. This sort of tragedy should be a reminder to us all to thank our state wildlife officials when we encounter them while afield instead of feeling inconvenienced for losing the few minutes it takes for a license check.

from 1Browning2 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

My prayers and thoughts go out to the family of Sgt. Stuckey. It is such a shame what people will go through to do illegal acts and Sgt Stuckey was doing his job and doing what he loved. People like this is what gives hunters who do it right a bad reputation. Such a shame.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Sad to know men and woman risk their lives to protect the sport we enjoy so much. Why a person would kill a man for a hunting violation is beyond comprehension. Let us hope this murdered is brought to justice.

from wingshooter54 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Might not have been illegal hunting going on, but a night time meth lab..........
Prayers and condolences to his family and fellow wildlife agents.
If they catch who's responsible for this despicable act, I will gladly pull the switch.
We should go back to the days of Judge Roy Bean and buy lots of new rope.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Very sad, the perps don't deserve new rope.

from Hoski wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Damn shame, my condolences to his family.

from Micropterus24 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Just terrible, I will never understand some people. Prayers are with him and his family.

from Hurckles wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Here in PA we lost an officer a little over a year ago i believe, a young guy....i just dont understand.

And it's True, people who commit these crimes, they're not "hunters"....they are murderers.

from michaux wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

If his last known transmittion to his supervisor was at 0215 hours, why was he accidently found at 0700 hours by fisherman about five hours later? The supervisor should have started to check up on this officer within a reasonable period of time. Especially since the officer had not checked back in to the supervisor. You never leave an officer in the field without backup.

from FOX wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I hear you I am from PA to. And a good majority of my frends are game wardens and states. And what ever fine of jail sentenc is worth killing to get out of. Only the lowest of the low would even conseder that as an option. And as to when he's caught he will have a specal place in hell. And i hope they let the fireing squad have him.

from luke_striegel wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

There cannot necessarily always be backup at that time of day....in remote areas. Its an absolute shame that this is a possibility. Something tells me that there are drugs involved. My condolences to the friends, family.

from Jesse Minckler wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Thoughts and prayers for Sgt. Paul Stuckey's family.

This selfless act of violence committed, to an individual protecting the rights and PRIVILEDGES of Law Abiding Citizens, shall not go with out justice.

And let us not forget, this was not another hunter or a sportsman who committed this crime. This was a crime committed by a coward.

from CoBowHunter wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

My thoughs and prayes go out to Sgt. Paul Stuckey's family as well. I am so saddened to hear of such a tradgedy.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Such a senseless thing to do over a deer. My sympathies to the family. get a big reward going and someone will talk. Then hang the bas***d!

from Carney wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

There's not a tree high enough when they find the murderers.

from dtownley wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Always room in my prayers for Law Enforcement
Condolences to his family & LA. Wildlife &
Fisheries Dept.

from dasmith wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

This is the unseen part of Wildlife Officers life. They deal with good people who are just out enjoying the outdoors but, there is always the criminal factor who are willing to do anything to get away with their crimes. Many of these criminals are also involved in other crimes as well and thats why they will kill to keep their identity secret.

Condolences to his family. I hope to read here, when they have the person who committed this murder.

from ckRich wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Murdered for doing his job, and protecting our lifestyle. I sure hope they catch the low-life/s responsible.

from GENO wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

RIP... Every case these men and women work involve someone with a weapon. Praying they catch the scumbag responsible.

from Hurckles wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I hope F&S will keep us posted on this...i'd like to know if/when they catch the guy....oh, and thanks to whoever dinged me on my earlier post, i'm the one guy with a negative rating on this blog...my day is ruined now.

from MountainMan6 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

GENO said it. Everybody thinks so many other kinds of law enforcement officers are so tough and hardcore, but these guys have the odds stacked against them more than any other branch. Usually alone, miles from backup, hard to find even if backup can get there, every suspect is armed, no witnesses in the woods if a suspect wants to do something stupid... I respect these guys a lot because they really, REALLY put their lives on the line to protect our wildlife, our way of life, and us.

from agwd wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Sgt. Paul Stuckey,

everyone reading this should commit that name to memory to honor an officer making the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty.

I hope Louisiana has the death penalty...

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Condolences to the Stuckey family.
This is an act of cowardice-could have been a meth lab,or a field of marijuana,the drug producers/dealers will kill over their "product" without hesitation.
To kill a man,someones- husband ,father,son,brother,friend over poaching a deer is even worse than the scumbag drug dealers killing over their "product"

I say use the Charlie Daniels method of punishment-
"take them rascals out in the swamp,put 'em on their knees and tie 'em to a stump,let the rattlers and the bugs and the alligators do the rest".

from Steward wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

My condolences to the family.

As for the perpetrator, if this is what it looks like?

Hang 'im high!

from rootju wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from WesMcCormick wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from lostcajun61 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from wingshooter54 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Prayers and condolences to his family and fellow wildlife agents.
We should go back to the days of Judge Roy Bean and buy lots of new rope.

from Hoski wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Damn shame, my condolences to his family.

from michaux wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from FOX wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Jesse Minckler wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Thoughts and prayers for Sgt. Paul Stuckey's family.

from CoBowHunter wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Carney wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

There's not a tree high enough when they find the murderers.

from GENO wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from AJN wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Amen to that

from Hurckles wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from vasportsman wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from rock rat wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Terrible.

from wp wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from 1Browning2 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Very sad, the perps don't deserve new rope.

from Micropterus24 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Hurckles wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from luke_striegel wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from dtownley wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Always room in my prayers for Law Enforcement
Condolences to his family & LA. Wildlife &
Fisheries Dept.

from dasmith wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Hurckles wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from MountainMan6 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from agwd wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Sgt. Paul Stuckey,

I hope Louisiana has the death penalty...

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Condolences to the Stuckey family.

I say use the Charlie Daniels method of punishment-