Padres Pitcher Gets Hand Surgery After Hunting Accident

Field Notes

December 06, 2012

Padres Pitcher Gets Hand Surgery After Hunting Accident

By Chad Love

Geez, what is with major league baseball players and hunting accidents lately? Yesterday we learned that the manager of the Chicago Cubs was peppered during a quail hunt. Now comes word that a pitcher for the San Diego Padres will be out three months after his hand was cut in a hunting accident.

From this story on cbssports.com
"...On Wednesday came another report of a hunting accident. Padres right-hander Andrew Cashner had surgery to repair a lacerated tendon in his right thumb after a friend stabbed him in the thumb after he "slipped" while dressing meat, general manager Josh Byrnes told reporters. Earlier on Wednesday, manager Bud Black said the 26-year-old right-hander had been involved in a "minor" hunting accident but didn't have many details. Byrnes filled in the blanks, noting the recovery for Cashner would be three months. He's likely to start the season on the disabled list.

Sounds like a bloody knife may have slipped while dressing out a deer or elk? At any rate, maybe MLB should issue some kind of memo to its players and managers about being careful in the field? Because they're dropping like flies...

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

C'mon, Chad!
HUNTING accident?
Sounds more like a kitchen incident to me!
...or maybe "assault with intent"?

from rickyno5 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Back when I was playing pro ball I got a treble hook sunk to the bone in my right thumb. I got quite a lecture about that. I also got in trouble for catching gators in Florida during spring training, but that's a different story haha.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

A case of too many cooks in the kitchen. Sometimes a helping hand can be a handicap. My guess is he was holding the animal open while the fella with the knife was attempting to cut the diaphragm loose. One of the reasons I have never been crazy about cleaning out a deer with a razor sharp knife, especially in poor light or very cold weather.

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

C'mon, Chad!
HUNTING accident?
Sounds more like a kitchen incident to me!
...or maybe "assault with intent"?

from rickyno5 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago