Bourjaily: Sign of the Times

The Gun Nuts

October 29, 2010

Bourjaily: Sign of the Times

By Phil Bourjaily

How popular is archery season in Iowa? It’s so popular this sign and two or three others like it recently sprang up along the gravel roads running through our crowded local Wildlife Management Area. I can guarantee a whole lot of bowhunters see them.* I guess some people regard mobs of hunters as competition, while this entrepreneur sees them as an opportunity.

What’s next? I’m thinking pizza by the slice delivered right to the treestand could be a real money maker. I’ll call the business “Scent Free Delivery” and make all my drivers wear rubber boots and camo.

*You can bet the deer on the area look up. In fact, they’re afraid to look down.

from huntnow wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Just judging by the sign, this may not be the most professional outfit. I think I'll stick with Tink's. He does seem to know where his customers are though. Can we get wings instead of pizza? Maybe a new market for the Hooter's girls. They would look better in camo anyway.

from huntnfishnut wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Thank you Ms Doe. Now if you would please step into this room and fully fill the cup. Leave it on the sink and do not flush until an assistant verifies your sample.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

how many delivery drivers do you suppose would get shot during the average season? hope the tips are good.

from Dcast wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Huntnow, Now your thinking! Just think of the nice chill in the air and the skimpy shirts, shorts, and their hard....ahhh never mind!

from Mark-1 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I hate to deny bowhunters their opportunity, but I bemoan how NYS has given these folks 30-days to stir the pot 30-days prior regular deer season and molest the upland shotgunners' hunt. Also:

Even though most these bowhunters "perch" they still are pushing deer, making them nocturnal.

This season is unsafe because of all the camo and no blaze orange requirement. The bird hunters often miss spotting these bowhunters.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

May God bless the small business people of this great country.

from jjas wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I wonder if it's really deer urine or just a bunch of guys drinking beer and fillin' bottles?

And does it matter to the deer?

from huntnow wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

jjas, if the latter is true, I'm quitting my day job.

from iowahunter18 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Good old Iowa.

Maybe the Hooter's girls wear orange just for this reason.

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

"I hate to deny bowhunters their opportunity, but I bemoan how NYS has given these folks 30-days to stir the pot 30-days prior regular deer season and molest the upland shotgunners' hunt"

Maybe,just maybe,they get that 30 days because it is much harder to take a deer with a bow and arrow?

In Ohio-bow season is from Sept.25-till Feb. 6th.
Shotgun season is from Nov. 29 till Dec.5 plus one weekend-Dec.18 +19.

That gives bowhunters far more than the 30 days you are whining about-and it has had exactly ZERO effect on hunter seccess during shotgun season.

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

success

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

It is tough to get a small business off the ground these days...

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Just goes to show you that you can sell anything to a redneck if you can package it in a shiny package! LOL

from Moncler4u wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

It’s so popular this sign and two or three others like it recently sprang up along the gravel roads running .
I'm Moncler new here.Thanks for your sharing

from jim in nc wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Phil:
Has anyone ever investigated the possibility of using human urine as buck lure? specifically, if you could get a woman who's ovulating to contribute a little something, would it be similar to that of a doe in estrus? Has anyone ever done a chemical analysis of doe urine to isolate the attractive element? If so, I suspect that such analyses of human urine have already been done, and we could see if it's similar. If it is, we (or some of us, at least) might have access to a big (and inexpensive, aside from keeping her happy) supply of buck lure.
Jim
P.S. No, I am not a weird person.

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

May God bless the small business people of this great country.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

And does it matter to the deer?

from huntnow wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

jjas, if the latter is true, I'm quitting my day job.

from huntnow wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from huntnfishnut wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Dcast wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from iowahunter18 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Good old Iowa.

Maybe the Hooter's girls wear orange just for this reason.

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

In Ohio-bow season is from Sept.25-till Feb. 6th.
Shotgun season is from Nov. 29 till Dec.5 plus one weekend-Dec.18 +19.

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

success

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

It is tough to get a small business off the ground these days...

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Moncler4u wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

I'm Moncler new here.Thanks for your sharing

from jim in nc wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Phil:
Jim
P.S. No, I am not a weird person.

from Mark-1 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago