Tell Us How Your Bird Season Is Going

Man's Best Friend

November 05, 2010

Tell Us How Your Bird Season Is Going

By David DiBenedetto

I love to deer hunt, but with all this talk of the rut on fieldandstream.com I’m not sure if the deer or my fellow editors are running around with swollen necks.

For many of us gun doggers, bird season is open. Tomorrow, Pritch and I will be hunting rails (aka marsh hens) in the Lowcountry, and in two weeks we’ll be in the wood duck swamp for the season opener in South Carolina.

But there’s plenty of activity happening now. Early dove season in the South was hot—in terms of temperature and action. In Montana, I’m told, the pheasants have been thick the past few weeks. And I received a great report from Man’s Best Friend regular, Kelmitch, who spent an October day afield in New York with his U. K. Springer, Magnum. Their take included two pheasants and a ruffed grouse. (That’s the two of them in the above photo.) Kelmitch has been working hard with Magnum, and it shows.

I’d love to hear more about your action in the field. In the comments section below tell us how your bird season is going. And don’t forget to include relevant dog information. If you have photos send them to mbfcontest@gmail.com. If I get enough pics I’ll do my best to post them all here.

Get out there. It’s our time of year.

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

The Ruffed Grouse came out of a hedge row that a man and his son had worked through before we got to it.This goes to show the difference in hunting with a good dog and without can do.The two roosters came out of a field of goldenrod(tough cover).They never would have busted out of the thick cover without Magnum hot on their tails.New lessons learned are push,pull,close,and left and right handed back.Slowed the bird hunting after a pulled muscle on our second hunt of the season on the 9th of Oct.That brought me to some archery time and time for him to take it easy before a simple pull becomes something serious.Was hopeing to at least get a look at the buck that was moveing past one of the three stands in that time but a blind was set up by a young gentlemen on the run he was useing.Thats awful when that happens especially when they dont even bother to ask the land owner.Did have an oppertunity on a large doe that is now in the freezer and very happy to do our part in management.I have always bounced between bird hunting and archery and feel it gives the dogs time to recover.If I had it my way I would hunt full time and fish part time but only take what we will use.GOOD LUCK DAVE CANT WAIT TO HEAR HOW BOTH HUNTS GO!

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

good i got 1 phesant and the dog got 2

from iowahunter18 wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Who knows if there even is a bird season in Iowa still.

from derik wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

I've been slacking, shot two ducks opening day and then shot one grouse a few weeks later. Now it's deer season so that's where my time is at, will get into some ducking next week hopefully it works out.

from Jere39 wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Went to mountains camp for some Grouse, saw none, enjoyed an early scout of the deer action though, and got some nice hiking with Scout. Came home and found a pheasant, probably a stocker right out my back door. Yesterday jumped a woodcock by accident while walking (unarmed) with my pup. They don't fly far, so we found and jumped him twice more for fun and training. This morning found the neighbor had cut his corn since Wednesday mid-day and the field was full of geese. Otherwise, here in PA it's mostly memories of golden age of pheasant hunting.

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Same here memories of the 80s-90s wasnt there for the real golden days but sure I would have liked it in those years.

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

As a matter of fact the bird pants are compliments of Night Light from those days 80s-90s.Suprised they still fit but repell the water and briars great.

from MLH wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Went to the Michigan UP for a few days - grouse and woodcock were everywhere. A bit warm so we only hunted early morning and late evening. Bear hunters in the area were successful - dragging two tracks even if it is illegal (Yoopers live by their own rules). There was also a lonely moose haunting the area but I didn't get to see her.

More woodcock and grouse than I have ever seen in the upper lower peninsula. No surprise since this is likely the peak of the grouse cycle. Woodcock were holding very tight. Grouse were flushing wild or in unusual terrain ... perhaps due to all the pressure. (Past tense since woodcock are usually out of the area by now and I am not taking the shotgun to the north woods tomorrow.)

Grouse are usually fine fare, but woodcock wrapped in bacon and cooked just past rare are exceptional.

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Havent seen many woodcock here this year.He did flush a couple but they were too far ahead.One was a great flush out of the row that the hen fell out of on the 9th but it flew too low and close to the dog to shoot.Almost a trap out of the air.None went up and down for a second flush all flew out of Dodge.I guess looseing a large farm in North Hebron is the biggest part of my woodcock numbers decline.I have had permission on 3 large farms that are very close to the Carters WMU for years but one of the farms was sold.I used too fill limits on the bird there.But that was another springer many years ago.It had great woodcock and grouse habitat.

from SD Bob wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

As a resident of South Dakota, I sure all will expect a pheasant report! Sorry to dissappoint but my gig is sharp tails, prairie chickens and red headed ducks! This week I got my first canvasback and the redheads have been even scarcer. Yesterday, on the way to my favorite grouse spot, I scouted up a large slough loaded with redheads, cans and bluebills so all should be well on this front. Once we started grouse hunting, it was fabulous! The first flock I dropped two, with birds flushing about every second untill 6 took flight. If I hadn't dropped a shell while reloading, I believe I could have shot a triple? The next flock was quite a bit bigger with birds going off everywhere giving my lab the fits! I dropped the third bird to fly (no I didn't miss the first two!) and at the shot, the prairie lifted off and flew away. I couldn't count them all but I'm guessing 40? It's sort of been that way all year with the exception being the normal flock being 6-8 birds.

from hfedder40 wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

mine went good im 13 shooting a 20 g 870 express and killed a dove and 3 pigeons and missed a rabbit

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

SD Bob Id be after that million dollar pheasant.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

i've been taking grouse here in new york with my black lab, Chaos. he gets better every year. i could have taken a lot more, but my shooting is lacking.

from Lyne Rabern wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

I went out with my Boykin Spaniel Wyatt to do some hunting with family on the opening weekend of SD pheasant. As was usual the birds were plentiful. This is Wyatt's second year in the field and he just keeps getting better. As one of three dogs for a group of a dozen shooters he got a good workout. I did the classic blunder when I took Wyatt over to help find a downed bird. We jogged for the area where there were two hunters looking around in some prairie grass. 100 yards from the guys Wyatt took off away from the hunters. I started to call him back when I saw that he was trying to pin down the wounded bird. Should have trusted my dog!
We hunt the edge of a prairie dam and one brother in law just can't seem to keep from shooting a bird over water. Years before this has been a problem but Wyatt and I having experience with hunt tests proved valuable. I loved impressing him with Wyatt going after a bird he never saw fall into the water.

from uplander12 wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

It hasn't started here in KS yet. I'm ready, the dogs are ready and i think the wife is ready to have all of us out of the house for a while.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Here in Ontario I shot several daily limits of big honkers (5 per day) plus many other days with four or less. Only skunked one day. My sweet little wife died in a car accident on 8 October and after the funeral I drove my brother back home to Montana. We did pretty good pheasant hunting even though it's an off year (spring was too wet). Had to work for them. I have been back home two days and the dogs are still beat. Brought home my possession limit of roosters (nine) plus a couple of sharptails. So sad to have to come home. The distraction was healthy but didn't last long enough.

from favortron wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Professional manufacturer of various kinds of cable ties and cable clamps.
Great sharing! Thanks for your article. I would also like to share you my articles about cable ties and cable clamps, hope you will like it and tell me your ideas about cable ties and cable clamps.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

good to see you on again, OHH! hope you are well. i'm still praying for you and your family.

from Quackwacker wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

dove season is still in full swing and duck season opens in two weeks! Settin on Go!

from Sue Melus wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

A wonderful season so far. Chased blue grouse in Colorado a few days in September and hunted pheasant the opening week in South Dakota. I didn't want to leave SD, but if I'm lucky I will make it to Kansas after things get rolling there. I've got one shorthair in his prime and my younger female is following in good suit. Life is good.

from Sue Melus wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Oops. Forgot to add that I am on my way back from a visit to CNY State where I was lucky to do some ruffed grouse and woodcock hunting with my Dad. A lot of fun, but unfortunately his setters unable to hunt much due to injury. We really missed them in the thick grouse cover!

from Nolan wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

Good. Got 2 pheasants and have seen a lot of grouse.

from chris_hunt wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

Haven't went this year. Just got a pointer pup. Lots of training to do and hopefully we will be ready for next year.

from Wags wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

Not bad. Opening day of quail season in Indiana was this past Friday (Nov. 5). Hunted two farms, found two coveys. The first had been busted earlier in the day by my uncle and his tractor, they were out feeding and he ran through them. We found some singles scattered, but no real shots. Saturday found a really nice covey at another uncles farm. Few in the bag, dog work was good, shooting was suspect. Definitely not the "good old days", but encouraging to know we can still find some here and there, especially now that my two boys are wanting to get out and find Mr. Bob!!

from IowaGuy wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

Terrible, the numbers are way down in Iowa.

from ngonseth wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

Roosters are thick in SD and we have been getting our share. Have shot at least two (daily limit is 3) every time out except for yesterday, just one then. This past friday myself and a buddy shot a limit in just over an hour.

from MLH wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

I sat in the north woods in a Ghillie suit with my bow on Saturday - left the shotgun at home. The crunch, crunch of leaves in front of me got my attention. Deer! But, from my left, came some other, more rapid, crunch, crunch sounds. What the he..? The woods exploded with the chest-pounding beats of half a dozen grouse flushing right over my head. One landed high in a tree a few feet away. Not about to fire a sharp broadhead straight up I just looked at the bird thinking how lucky it was. Ka-BOOM! Shot and two more grouse scattered right over my head. Then a flash from a white setter and a blaze orange vest coming out of thick cover. Not sure if he saw me or the bright yellow "Private Property" sign but he and the dog quickly turned around and disappeared.

I walked over to where I had heard the first crunching sounds. Deep hoof prints and scattered dirt - the deer had left in a hurry. Guess I should have taken my shotgun instead.

OHH - hoping you can spend some true healing time in the outdoors this season.

from plevena1 wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

I tried those new Federal Prarie Storm shells, they give a pretty good kick on there own, but they caused both barrels of my o/u to discharge at the same time. any body else have this prob.?

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

OHH- Thinking of you and your family. Hang in there.

MLH- Glad you came back in one piece from that outing.

from muddman wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

Dave Im right there with you, I cant wait to smoke some lowcountry wood ducks coem the 20th.

from Jg417 wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

shot about 10 grouse since small game open about 2 pheasant, havent been out for duck yet.

from crosbychief wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

Great season....heck, is there anything but a great season when you hunt with reat dogs and great friends? The Dakotas were good to us with roosters, sharptails and ducks....cans and redheads and wigeon and gadwalls and mallards and green winged teal.....hard to beat. Lots of grouse here in Michigan but I have not taken the time to hunt them, too busy with other feathers...what a great predicament! Also took willow ptarmigan, spruce grouse and harlequin ducks while working in Alaska this summer and fall.

from PipersDad06 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Pheasant/Quail opener here in KS yesterday. I didn't do too well, but saw plenty of quail and roosters and dog found a skunk. Reports from around Dodge City are that they have never seen so many birds. A hunting buddy who was out there said it was like the hunting shows from SD; 20-30 birds would get up then another 20-30 birds. Said it was unbelieveable, similar report from Rush County.

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from SD Bob wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from Wags wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

from crosbychief wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

from PipersDad06 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

good i got 1 phesant and the dog got 2

from iowahunter18 wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Who knows if there even is a bird season in Iowa still.

from derik wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from Jere39 wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from hfedder40 wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

SD Bob Id be after that million dollar pheasant.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from Lyne Rabern wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from uplander12 wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from favortron wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Professional manufacturer of various kinds of cable ties and cable clamps.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from Quackwacker wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from Sue Melus wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from Sue Melus wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from Nolan wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

Good. Got 2 pheasants and have seen a lot of grouse.

from chris_hunt wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

from IowaGuy wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

Terrible, the numbers are way down in Iowa.

from ngonseth wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

OHH - hoping you can spend some true healing time in the outdoors this season.

from plevena1 wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

OHH- Thinking of you and your family. Hang in there.

MLH- Glad you came back in one piece from that outing.

from muddman wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago